27-year old Malaysian Fairuz Fauzy saw the realisation of his racing driving ambitions when his place in the Lotus F1™ racing team was announced. He was to take up the position of third/test driver for the Formula 1™ 2010 Grand Prix season and his management team, Mofaz Racing, appointed Litmus to maximise his global awareness.
Litmus had just 10 working days to launch a new website and implement a robust search engine optimisation strategy prior to Fairuz’s inaugural drive in the Malaysian Grand Prix practice session. Thereafter Litmus’ job was to continue to augment the website and maximise SEO activity.
The website was complex to implement because it had to satisfy many different aims whilst engaging a diverse audience. The main aims were:
- To raise global awareness of Fairuz Fauzy
- To cost effectively develop a focal point for Fairuz’s brand
- To establish a comprehensive digital platform
- To attract potential sponsors
- To facilitate media interest and provide a press office function
- To attract the attention of other F1™ teams
- To maximise visitors to the website and engage and channel fan activity
- To improve ‘stickiness’ i.e. keep visitors on the website for longer
- To energise other areas of the Mofaz Racing organisation e.g. Junior Lotus Racing
Measurement and evaluation
Within 4 weeks of going live we achieved a website grading of 96% (i.e. in the top performing 4%) which is exceptional, especially when compared to the grading of established F1™ driver’s websites:
- The number of visits to Fairuz’s website increased by 77%
- The number of countries that Fairuz’s website visitors are from increased from 37 to 68
- The number of website pages viewed increased from 879 to 3938
- The average number of pages viewed in any one visit increased from 1.68 – 5.16
- The time that visitors spent viewing the website increased from 1.37 minutes to 4.42 minutes
- Twitter followers increased by 640%
Source: Google Analytics
Results against objectives
Fairuz’s new website and the subsequent supporting digital activity has generated exceptional grading, visitor activity, sponsorship enquiries and feedback from the media and fans alike.
Being in pole position with Mark Webber, for website effectiveness, is certainly something Fairuz will be looking to replicate on the track!